A lightweight, reasonably priced, fuel efficient choice.
The B3.3 is a compact little diesel made by Cummins but was a joint venture between Cummins and Komatsu. Mostly found in industrial equipment, this engine performs quite well in Land Cruisers with 33” tires. It produces 85 hp and 215 lb-ft of torque. Proffitt’s Cruiser’s has installed this engine in numerous Land Cruisers including 40’s, 45’s, and 60’s. Reported fuel mileage is roughly 27-29 with a 5 speed manual transmission. 85 hp may not sound like much, but this little engine does quite well and is actually quite peppy. The B3.3 works really well with 3.70 gearing, 33” tires, and 5 speed manual transmissions.
Cummins 3.3L Pros
- More compact and lighter than most other diesels we install
- Both engine and parts readily available
- Reasonably priced (just over $5000 new)
- Easily adaptable to lots of transmissions
- Delivers good fuel economy 25-35 mpg reported
- Good choice for alternative fuels like WVO and bio-diesel
Cummins 3.3L Cons
- Small output, not suitable for heavier vehicles
- Louder than most new production automotive diesel engines